Please join MBEF for a special presentation by acclaimed author, college admissions expert, and educational consultant, Cindy Clumeck Muchnick, M.A. Co-author of The Parent Compass.
Thursday, October 14th
6:00 – 7:00pm
followed by a Question & Answer Session
In this highly competitive world where tutoring, micro-managing, and helicoptering seem to be the norm, parents often feel helpless trying to support their child in a productive way. Based on her research with co-author Jenn Curtis, Cindy will share her expertise on how to best support your tween/teen and navigate through this challenging time with renewed confidence.
Discussion Topics Include:
- Challenging questions that aim to jumpstart an essential conversation for parents on why we behave the way we do and how we make the choices we make in helping to navigate our teens through competitive and uncertain times
- Anecdotes from the author’s personal and professional life working with teens that exhibit both poor parenting choices and ones to model
- Research and tips gleaned from interviews with education thought leaders, teachers and administrators, counselors, psychologists, and other authors
- Tangible steps and ideas to help parents preserve your relationship with your teen
- Advice on fostering grit and resilience and strategies to help your teen approach life with purpose while navigating a competitive academic environment
- Clear expectations of your appropriate role in the college admission process
We encourage you to purchase the book The Parent Compass to serve as an in-depth reference tool. The Parent Compass is for sale at our local Pages bookstore and exclusive signed copies are available through the author for $20 (including shipping) using this Google Book Order Form.
Cindy has worked in the fields of college admissions, educational consulting, teaching, and counseling for the past 20+ years. She is a mother of four and has devoted her career to working with teens. Cindy’s thoughtful advice and anecdotes as both an expert and mother will resonate with any parent.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON COVID -19 PROTOCOLS
The safety of all guests is important to us. The Manhattan Beach Education Foundation will be following all LA County Covid-19 guidelines. Entry will require proof of vaccination (vaccine card, digital image or QR code) or proof of a negative COVID test (PCR or Antigen) within 72 hours of the event. The testing requirement includes people who cannot get a vaccine, such as children under 12. Check MBEF Covid Policy for more information.
Please note: All sales are final. Should COVID protocols require limited attendance or eliminate the possibility of an in-person event, each registrant will receive a private link to a Zoom Webinar available only to ticketed individuals.